Youtube Ramble: Writer’s Block, Recycling Junk, ACoW, and a Story

Important Links:

To Make Old New

So I’m really big on trying to recycle household items for other uses. Recently we’ve had a lamp stop working entirely, but the lampshade was still in really good condition, if not a little dusty. I took it off the lamp, and we got rid of the lamp itself. I just couldn’t figure out what to do with the shade though. We don’t have any other lamps just lying around to put it on.IMG_1181

Yesterday, husband took our son to the library, then out to the nearby park for a few hours before lunch. Giving me time to tend to some housework and anything else I wanted. So I looked at the lamp shade and decided to do something about it. I sat down with a paint brush, a wee little cup of water, and some acrylic paints and set to work.

First I used the paint brush to wet down a few of the plaits, soaking them through completely. Then I just barely touched the brush to a color (I mean just feather light) and applied it to one of the wet plaits. When the color was too thick, I simply added more water to thin it back out even more. I wanted it to soak into the fabric, and look a bit like watercolor. This is the effect it gave.

IMG_1170

So then I went all the way around, alternating the three colors I’d picked. I noticed as I went around, the bit at the bottom was soaking up the excess water and color. When I finished, I let it sit for a few minutes, and then turned it upside down to have it soak into the band at the top as well. It turned out very lovely indeed.

The only downside is that the inside of the lampshade now has stripes of color, which I was not intending to happen but it was kinda cool. You can see how I applied the color, but also the directions I tended to use the brush in on each plait. Depending on how bright or large the color is, you can see when I had to apply more water to thin it out, or more color to give it a better stain.

IMG_1174

And then, here’s the finished product! I’ll add another picture later once we have a new lamp to put it on.

IMG_1177

I made a thing!

A few months back, my hubby and I were going through out clothes and putting away winter stuff. We were also getting rid of clothes that just were so worn out or we just don’t wear. One of the items of clothing was a bootlegged Spongebob Squarepants shirt that was so badly done the thing was silkscreen printed on the wrong side of the fabric, resulting in the wearer having to wear it wrong-side out in order to show off the image properly.

This shirt, he wanted to save for our son when he’s older, but it was large enough that it would be a rather long wait. And by then he may not want it. So, it was tucked away. Until today. I decided to use my canvas stretching skill and mount the image on one of my old canvases that didn’t get thrown out when I purged of my art supplies (all easily replaceable via Dollar Tree and stores of that nature). Here is the end result!

WIN_20150711_130720

Spongebob Squarepants t-shirt recycled into a wall hanging.