Atlanta Vacation: Final Day

So today was our last day in Atlanta, and the day we came home. I’m writing this from the comfort of my own bed tonight. Sore and achey; my calves want to scream when I stand up and waddle my way to the bathroom. My back sore not from my chronic pain condition, but rather from being so active the last 4 days.

The hotel we stayed at, The Hyatt House, was wonderful. The staff were so kind, and actually like their jobs! The room itself was so comfy and cozy, and honestly I spent more time in the room than I did doing anything else (because hey, as I said before – I was trying to rest, relax, sleep, and just enjoy the time away from home and stress and responsibility). Most of my roommates, as I said before, I really enjoyed sharing the space with. They were fun, but also very respectful of one another’s privacy and mindful of everyone’s personal needs. We’re already planning to room with the same small group next year, that’s how enjoyable the experience with them was! And being able to pay part of the room rather than the whole thing for all 4-5 days enabled them to actually afford to make the trip. 10 our of 10 will definately room with these people as much as possible! Except… for one. We’ll get to him further down the post…

Anyway, my husband enjoyed himself immensely. He went to parties, raves, panels, events, all sorts of things. And still made a little time to spend with me as well. We had a lovely date out for dinner, and another lovely – but exhausting – date on Sunday out to do some shopping and sight seeing in the area he used to live in. I bought some souveniers, as I said in my post from yesterday. And despite his having to deal with a few pretty big problems, he loosened up and I haven’t seen him this relaxed and rejuvinated since before we married nearly 3 years ago! He also got a lot of positive feedback on his armor project that he’s been working on for the last few years, and it’s really made him want to continue with it and make it even better.

But, this trip wasn’t without it’s downside. Let’s start with the one thing I didn’t like about our room: the light switch situation. When one first enters the room, there is a light switch to turn on some ceiling lights right there at the entrance. This light must be turned on in order for the bathroom light to work. I don’t know why this is, but that’s how it works. This is annoying for the sole reason that the entry lights are just bright enough to wake everyone up! And with 7 people in one room… that’s a LOT of light switching to do during the night when people need to both pee and sleep. And it was impractical to leave the light on because again – the light wakes everyone up.

And then there’s…. the other downside. At least for me. The others would include being just a little too far away from the main goings on of the convention. The convention was still within walking distance from our hotel though. But if you’ve been partying at a rave till 5AM… it’s a hell of a walk back to bed! However for me, the only other downside was… our 7th roommate. We’ll call this person “Nate”.

After the first night, and having had to ride with “Nate” part of the way into Atlanta, I told my husband, who had arranged the trip and sleeping arrangements of the group, that I didn’t want to room with “Nate” ever again. Citing the reason that he smelled awful. I mean, it wasn’t just that he smelled like alchohol, or he had a slightly offensive body odor he couldn’t control. The man’s base smell is just… I’d rather stick my head in a trash can to be honest. Because the man smelled like he just doesn’t ever bathe. I know for a fact that during the entire trip, he never showered. At least, not at our room that we shared with him. He didn’t swim either, because the pool was closed. And the hours that he kept – the pools were closed at the other hotels as well. Only rain, it seemed, touched this man’s body. When he didn’t smell like his usual day to day base scent, it was like he had a cloud of liquor and cigatettes hanging around him. It made everyone else’s stuff smell slightly like booze and smoke because he didn’t keep his stuff contained to one area (husband and I had the closet because it was by our bed. The roomies I liked – one couple had their in and around the dresser, while the remaining 2 kept their stuff under and in front of a desk. This left “Nate” a space next to these big cube shaped seats and in front of the locked door to the ajoining room doors thing) and threw his things all over one of the beds (he did move it before he left that night though). We only know that his stuff got mixed up with their’s because they were picking his dirty clothes out of their stuff as they packed the night before and morning of check-out.

Now, his odor was just the tip of the iceburg with “Nate”. The man left his dirty glasses and trash everywhere, too. Half drunk glasses of orange juice and rum. Empty cans of ravioli. It was awful. After the first day of cleaning up after him, I told my husband to talk to the guy about cleaning up his messes. It lasted a day. Then he was leaving even more trash everywhere.

And yet, that wasn’t the worst of it. THAT could have been something that everyone else in the room could overlook as just having a shitty roommate and to make sure to tell the head of our group not to put him in our rooms ever. No. The WORST of it was last night.

He came back to the room at an unusual hour for him: before 10PM. See, this guy would wake up anywhere from 2pm to 5pm, get up, get dressed, take a piss, and then grab his gear and nobody would see him agian until around 5 or 6AM, where he would crash right before we all would get up and go down for breakfast. Because he was an ass, we didn’t bother waking him for the free breakfast nor would any of us bring him anything back. Because he was an annoying, obnoxious asshole.

But last night, he came back to the room before 10PM – so right away me and the other couple that were in the room were suspicious. I had found out the guy had brought mushrooms – not for a pasta sauce – with him. And that he still had some. Well last night, he brings this twitchy, jumpy guy back to the room with him. Guy is going to great lengths to avoid letting us see his face. Just as “Nate” and this guy come in, the girl from the couple had gone to the bathroom to brush her teeth, take her medication, shower, and her whole pre-sleep routine. So she’s in there a while. The buddy “Nate” brought back is getting more and more jittery, and he’s making sure the rest of us can’t see his face clearly, going so far as to having “Nate” turn off one of the lamps in the room to make the corner they were in darker. Well, after a while “Nate” says he has to pee when the girl comes out. She comes out of the bathroom about 5 minutes later. “Nate” goes to the bathroom… followed by Mr. Jumpy, who again is trying to hide his face from us as he quickly rushes after him. Now, the bathroom has a sliding door rather than the traditional knob and pull or push door. And the bathroom walls are so not-soundproof that we can hear whenever someone farts in the bathroom, and if someone’s on the toilet, they can hear entire conversations in the bedroom.

So, I timed them. It was 5 minutes of conversation, slightly muffled because we had the TV on watching Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. But my bed was closest to the bathroom, so I can kind of hear bits and pieces a lot clearer than the couple sitting on the other bed. I timed them. Not enough time for a blow job before any of us heard any peeing. And just enough suspiciousness and weird conversation snippets to lead myself and the couple to believe “Nate” had just done a drug deal in our bathroom.

5 minutes until we heard the sound of pee hitting the toilet. And I don’t think “Nate” needed someone in there to spot him as he took a piss. Toilet flushes, and the two rush back across the room to the corner they were in before. And then in a matter of seconds, the guy’s nearly out the door… and in the full light of the ceiling lights at the entrance of the room. We can see his face clearly for the first time since this entire situation began. I’ve written up a long text to my husband, but I haven’t sent it yet. I wanted to wait and see, just to be sure of what went down before I send the text, detailing the strangeness of “Nate” and Mr. Jumpy. “Nate” keeps trying to get Mr. Jumpy to give him his Facebook details, so they can be friends. Mr. Jumpy is coming up with every single excuse in the book to get away before finally he noticed myself and the couple all had our phones out, and 2 of us were seated facing him as if ready to snap a picture. At last he says he’ll look “Nate” up and vanishes. “Nate” is confused as to why Mr. Jumpy wouldn’t give him his FB details. But myself and the couple – all 3 of us know why. Because witnesses were there. Witnesses that looked like they might squeal.

It’s another 10-15 minutes before “Nate” finally leaves to go to the last rave of the convention. I hit send. I ask the others if they had the same suspicions as I did. Indeed they do.

Now, I don’t mind people drinking. I don’t mind people getting sloppy drunk – so long as they are legal age and responsible about it (no driving, having someone else take them home, etc.) and don’t turn into abusive assholes when they drink. But when it comes to drugs – I have a ZERO TOLLERANCE policy. Period. If someone has a prescription for pain medication, that’s one thing. I understand that. But when people sell their medications, or they are doing drugs around me, or selling drugs around me, etc – fuck no. THIS time I didn’t call the cops because “Nate” is a friend of the guy who put together all the roomshares for the groups we hung our with this year, and I didn’t want to drag the rest of our roommates into drama and ruin their first ever DragonCon for them. Because I want them to come back next year, and we can all hang out and enjoy a nice vacation together. But hot damn – did I make sure everyone I talked to, from my husband and all the way up the food chain know – I don’t tollerate that shit and he’d best never be put in my rooms again. Period. No compromises, no deals, no exceptions. This guy was bad news. And like hell I’m gonna be put into that situation again.

But let’s finish this post off on a more positive note, shall we?

After the “Nate” mess, I popped downstairs to buy 2 pints of ice cream and a milk (because literally moments before the “Nate” situation, myself and the husband from the couple were going to go downstairs and get ice cream and milk because he wanted ice cream, and I’d forgotten my tums at home and had killer heartburn so I was gonna drink some milk to help alleviate it). Told them it was my treat for them having been put in that situation and reassured them that “Nate” was not going to be rooming with us next year, or ever again if I had anything to say about it. So we had an ice cream and milk party, just the 3 of us, while watching cartoons in the middle of the night.

This morning, we all got up (except “Nate”) and rushed to breakfast because we all got up late and it would be shutting down in about half an hour and get cleaned up. Thankfully the majority of our stuff, everyone (again except “Nate”) had packed up the night before to be ready for check-out today.

We bid our new friends adieu, told them we hope to see them again next year. Swapped Facebook details. And made plans for next year. So far, one of them has already pre-registered for next year’s con, and paid for his badge for then. He’s also already contacted my husband about getting rooms at a host hotel for next year! It was their first con, and already planning to come back. I’m glad they enjoyed themselves so much!

My husband, “Nate”, and I checked out a few hours later, went to wait for our ride at another hotel, and managed to get home in about an hour and a half. Not too bad for holiday and post-convention traffic in a super busy state capitol.

And right before i sat down to type out this post, I had already worked out a plan of action for how to get to and from the convention next year as well. Every month I’m going to put $5-$10 into my Paypal account to pay for a ride (either Uber or Lift) to the MARTA station in Marietta. And THEN to pay for MARTA fare to take us into Atlanta either by bus or by the train. (There’s a bus station, but there’s also a train station at another location in Marietta. It just depends on which way will be easier for us to get into downtown.) And then repeat in reverse to get home. That way, we aren’t totally dependent on someone else for transportation and have to abide by their schedule.

And because we had such a good time, and it honestly did us some good, and my mom had a decent time bonding with my son, this might become a regular yearly thing. I hope so, because it was good for us to get away, and it helped my mom to feel needed again, and it helped her bond with her grandson. AND it helped us out with him, too, because she was able to get him to do certain things we’ve been trying (and failing) to get him to do. Like sit down and eat at the table, and go to bed at a normal hour, etc.

Honestly, I can’t wait for next year’s vacation!

I’ll post pictures sometime this week or next. Most of them will be of my husband, or pictures he took since I stayed in most of the time. Funny stories from the trip will be written up and posted soon, too. I’m just too tired and this post is quite long enough already. So this seems like a good place to cap it off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s